Summer calls for different shoes than the rest of the year, especially when you’re wearing shorts. Sure there are flip flops, boat shoes, and sneakers but if you want more style, espadrilles are the must have summer shoes for guys in 2014. They are as comfortable as flip flips, don’t need socks, and even better no one can see your feet. This summer classic style is a rare go-everywhere item that can be worn to the beach, out to dinner (after a wardrobe change), and everywhere in between.
Espadrilles have been made and worn since the 14th century in Catalonia and the Basque Country, Spain and many shoes are still produced by local craftsmen. They were even used as footwear for the King of Aragon’s foot soldiers, which is perhaps why the espadrille was Miami Vice trendsetter Sonny Crockett’s footwear of choice.
The name is derived from the Spanish word esparto, the tough, wiry grass that is made into rope. The woven rope soles are lightweight, eco-friendly, and most importantly for summer, breathable.
On top, espadrilles are traditionally canvas but modern shoes have a range of materials. The unisex shoes are traditionally identical, with no differentiation for the different feet. Updated shoes have increased comfort by providing a left and right fit.
What can you wear your espadrilles with? Everything from a white suit to cut off jeans. They look great with this summer’s rolled cuff trend, tapered jogging jeans, and shorts, even swim trunks. Men’s espadrilles are versatile shoes so wear them everywhere this summer takes you.
Here are a few of our favorite men’s espadrilles in a wide variety of colors, pattern, and cuts. This classic shoe has never gone out of style and is on trend for summer 2014.
- TOMS Black and White Stripe Men’s Classics – TOMS design must have been inspired by the espadrille. Here’s one with a braided sole detail.
- ALDO Nahass Espadrilles – A loafer-espadrille hybrid.
- H&M Leather Espadrilles – Classing it up with suede.
- Soludos Electric Blue Ikat – This brand has the widest range of colors, patterns, and leather. Their collaboration with J.Crew is almost completely sold out but there is lots of selection available from the Soludos site.
- New Look Chambray Espadrille – With raffia trim.
- Havaianas Origine Espadrille – A twist on the traditional shoe with Havaianas marshmallow sole and available in 13 colors.
- Sperry Top-Sider Drifter Espadrille – From the makers of your favorite boat shoes and the top seller for men’s espadrilles at Zappos.